Who would have believed it eh. This quirky little fellow has been emerging from our throw-away-but-keep cylinder (see more about that here) for the last two weeks and he can finally grin without falling over as, at last, we’ve found him some feet. And scales … of sorts. I gave up trying to take pictures in stages, as each phase seemed to require 3 pairs of hands as it was, so there were definitely none to spare for handling technology – this is recycling at its most precarious don’t you know! … old Hans was not the easiest of creatures we ever made, but almost definitely the most fulfilling now he’s finally finished … and the best part about it? He cost us about one euro to make, if that. Oh and about 6 hours!!
So if you fancy having a go, you will need:
An egg-box (one of the deep ones with the really tall cone separators) for the head
1 kitchen-roll tube for the body
1 toilet roll tube for the tail
1 A4 ish sheet of coloured card to make the end of the tail, to cover the body and to detail the feet
2 pumpkin seeds for the eyes
4-5 peanut shells carefully prised open longways (tricky!) for the teeth
2 little bits of black card to stick on the eyes (we cut up an empty packet of something)
Something fairly sturdy for the feet (we used the clips from a broken trousers hanger)
Some strong paper glue and we also used some flash-bonding glue for areas which resisted being stuck!
A large handful of sycamore helicopters!
I think you will find the method fairly obvious from the photos, but if you want the nitty gritty low-down, drop me a comment and I’ll flesh out the detail for you.
Good luck! It’s fiddly, but fun. My LittleOne had a ball being my extra pair of hands – holding bits together here and sticking bits on there, especially the eyes and the ‘scales’ at the end!